“Home and Work Balance Used to Feel Perfect…”
Tory Burch on Wikipedia, creator of a multi-billion dollar fashion empire and someone I look forward to joining on Forbes’ list of “The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women”, had this to say about being an entrepreneur and home and work balance: “Buckle up, and know that it’s going to be a tremendous amount of work, but embrace it.” A tremendous amount of work. Do you know the feeling? I certainly do. As the CEO of a jewelry company, Vanessa Nicole Jewels, I spend my days designing and creating custom diamond rings, working one-on-one with clients to ensure seamless communication, managing a team of assistants, participating in two mastermind groups to strategize company growth, filming and photographing rings, creating fresh marketing collateral for past and potential clients, designing a hard copy newsletter for mailing to past clients, replying to client emails within the hour…I could go on. I’m also a first time mother to one year-old twin boys, so I totally get what Tory Burch was saying. Like most moms and dads, home and work balance comes with challenges and sacrifices. However, when clients are dropping 10K-100K on their custom rings, things simply have to get done efficiently in order to keep everyone happy.
When I’m jogging up the seven flights of stairs to my office and get stuck behind two people who are slogging along like they just ate three helpings of Thanksgiving dinner, I get antsy. I desperately want to say, “GO,” feeling compelled to tell them that if they meander through life in the slow lane, they will never get enough done. Obviously, I don’t say what I’m thinking; I simply find that sliver of space between them to slip through, excusing myself as I take two steps at a time to make up for the lost seconds. Don’t get me wrong, I love to meander – but mostly when it involves holding my husband’s hand while strolling through a park, or holding the hand of one of my newly walking babies as he Frankenstein-lurches his way across the kitchen. Prior to parenthood, I would work weekdays from 9am to midnight, the hours interspersed with Pilates, weekly date nights, reading business books at coffee shops, mani-pedis, and weekend getaways. The home and work balance felt perfect. With the addition of twins to the mix, I can’t remember the last time I felt relaxed for any extended period of time. Now it’s about being more strategic with the clock. I get mani-pedis while productively using the time to listen to business podcasts. Those weekly date nights have turned into monthly one night staycations. And all my business books are listened to in audio version driving to and from work. I’m well-versed on the literature describing the characteristics of successful people. Incorporating that advice into daily life has been instrumental to my sanity.
Personal Tips for Home and Work Balance
BUSINESS: When to Move Fast
– Listen to business podcasts on 1.5x speed. It’s fast enough to still comprehend clearly, yet not so fast that everyone sounds like the micro-machine man. – Order lunch from Postmates, which delivers to your office. This allows me to stop eating the same boring energy bars every day while saving time from actually going out to pick it up. – Stairs and swift strides. Take the stairs instead of elevators to keep your energy up and make your strides faster going to/from locations. – Implement an idea even if it’s not perfect. It’s better to “edit” later than to simply wait to get started once it’s perfect… because it never will be.
BUSINESS: When to Move Slow
– Important client emails. Re-read twice before sending. – Strategizing the future of your company. When planning the direction of your company, list the pros and cons of your ideas and discuss them with business mentors. Paraphrasing Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice in Wonderland, “If you don’t know where you’re going how do you expect to get there?”
HOME: When to Move Fast
Ariel Huffington says it best: “No.” is a complete sentence.” Don’t hem and haw over whether or not to commit when someone requests a favor. If you don’t have the time, be upfront. Explain that you’re too busy balancing life and work right now, so you wouldn’t be able to give this important opportunity the 100% of your attention that it deserves. Done. Move on.
HOME: When to Move Slow
– When your child wants to play with you or snuggle, never rush those moments. They’re too brief. – Dinner with your spouse or family. Take time to enjoy being with each other, sans electronic devices.
I hope this article provided you with new ideas for when to move fast and when to move slow when it comes to home and work balance.
Let Vanessa Nicole be your guide. Vanessa Nicole Jewels crafts stunning, wedding bands and heirloom engagement rings for couples around the globe. Every ring we make is truly one of a kind, designed exclusively for each client. Contact Vanessa today to learn more about your options!
Hi, I’m Vanessa Nicole – master diamond setter and author of the best-selling book, The Perfect Custom Engagement Ring. My educational engagement ring videos have amassed nearly half a million views on YouTube, so be sure to check those out if you need design inspiration for your ring. When I’m not playing with diamonds, you can find me tickling my twin boys, or kicking back watching a movie with my awesome husband (my teenage sweetheart).
The Artist’s Studio
Vanessa Nicole Jewels specializes in micro pavé engagement rings, bringing award winning talent to those who desire the highest quality engagement ring experience for their life partner. The benefits of a micro pavé engagement ring are obvious. However, such a stunning ring is only more breathtaking and built to last when it is custom made by a professional jewelry studio rather than a mass production wholesaler.
- All our micro pavé engagement rings are created exclusively for you. No overseas workers, no duplicates!
- You work directly with the designer to execute your vision. No pushy salespeople!
- We meticulously select every diamond in-house to ensure that it meets our high standards for sparkle.
- We use ONLY the most brilliant-looking diamonds.
- All our custom micro pavé engagement rings include the option of the “Making Of Your Ring™” DVD service – a special video that shows her ring being made, which she’ll watch over and over!
Vanessa Nicole Jewels specializes in creating custom, one-of-a-kind engagement rings and wedding rings. Personalized Service & Happiness Guaranteed!
*If you liked this article, you may also find the following articles extremely helpful: