How To Clean And Care For Your Diamond Engagement Ring
Engagement rings and wedding bands worn daily are subjected to substantial wear and tear over time. As a result, your diamond ring can look less sparkly as the days go by. Soap suds, grime, dirt & dust can get under the diamonds leaving a white film underneath, which makes it sparkle less than it used to on the first day you got it. Just as the finest automobiles retain their beauty and value longer with proper care and maintenance, rings require the same care.
The absolute best option is to take your ring into a jewelry store, simply because these companies know rings and are less likely to make a costly mistake. Different gemstones have different needs, and the strength of the metal will relate to what sort of cleaners and brushes are appropriate.
If you would rather not head into the jeweler’s and want to do a quick clean at home, that is possible, too. Below are procedures on how to care for your engagement ring.
How to Clean Diamonds and Jewelry at Home
You may have seen ultrasonic cleaners on the market, which are intended to use sound vibrations to clean jewelry. Many question whether these are safe for us to clean your engagement ring or other jewelry.
The short answer is, it depends. For some jewelry, it can be perfectly safe, but for more important pieces, it may not be worth the risk. Amazon & Target have ring cleaners that work to bring back your sparkle, and as long as they say they are suitable for the precious metal of your ring, that will work fine. Err on the side of caution when it’s a piece you care about.
You’d also do best to stay away from household cleaners when sprucing up your engagement rings. Bleach, chlorine, and acetone can break down metals in the ring. Abrasive cleaning options, like baking soda, can scratch the metals of the ring.
If you prefer to care for your engagement ring or jewelry at home with products you may already have, read below:
- Small dish of warm water
- New, soft bristle toothbrush (If it has any remnants of toothpaste, it will scratch the metal
- Mild dishwashing detergent
- Wooden toothpick, if necessary
- Lint-free cloth (similar to one used for cleaning a camera lens or glasses)
- Jewelry polishing cloth
*** Make sure to plug the drain if doing this over a sink ***
1. In a small dish, soak your diamond ring in a warm solution of mild liquid detergent and water.
2. Use the toothbrush to gently brush away any dirt or grime.
3. Use a wooden toothpick to very carefully push dirt away ONLY IF the brush doesn’t do it.
4. Rinse in running water or fresh water and frequently change angles to remove all cleaning solution.
5. Dry the ring with a clean lint-free cloth.
6. Rub a jewelry polishing cloth gently over the metal surface.
How Often Should the Ring Be Cleaned?
How often to do a quick clean of the ring is another common question. Finding an answer for that proves a bit tricky. Some women prefer to do it monthly, others weekly, and still others do a quick clean every morning before work.
You do not have to do it even every week if that seems overwhelming. There is no magic number of days which you should wait, as every person is different. If you’re wearing your ring out while you garden or are otherwise constantly getting it dirty, you may need more often cleaning than someone who isn’t.
Choose a time frame that works for you and schedule it in so you do not forget it. You can always clean more often, as there is no such thing as cleaning it too frequently, just as with anything else.
Best Practices For How to Care for Your Engagement Ring
1. Don’t put your ring loose in a pocket. There have been too many, “I put it in my pocket and now it’s gone” stories.
2. Keep your platinum separate from gold and silver—these metals can damage each other.
3. Jewelry should be removed before applying tanning lotions or sprays (basically anything that has a chemical in it).
4. It is advisable to wear a CZ engagement ring when on vacation, depending on the destination. If you decide to take off the ring to go to the pool or spa (which is advisable for white gold), consider leaving it in your room’s safe.
5. Some women insist on taking their rings off when applying hand lotion. Just remember: every time the ring is off your finger there is a chance it will be misplaced. Make sure to have 1 distinct place for your rings that never changes. Many women often get very skillful at applying lotion on their hands without touching their engagement ring.
6. Take your ring off during active sports to avoid possible injury to yourself or other players.
7. Take the ring off while lifting weights, or at least wear gloves so the metal bar doesn’t scratch the metal.
8. If you must take the ring off, always put it in the same place each time to avoid losing it.
9. Treat pieces with small pavé diamonds with extra care. There is less metal protecting these stones. Take them off when going to the gym, swimming, or any other strenuous activities.
10. When it comes to your center diamond, every once in awhile, check to make sure it’s tight in its setting by tapping with your finger to hear if it wiggles or tapping a toothpick on each edge to see if it wiggles.
11. We always recommend having jewelry insurance for your engagement ring.
Cleaning Diamonds Professionally
While you can get away with home cleaning of the ring in most cases, you should stop back in to see the jeweler at least once or twice a year. A deep cleaning by a professional can make your ring look just as nice as the day it was first slipped on your finger.
Vanessa Nicole Jewels is always available to clean our clients’ rings with our Sparkle Restoration™ service. (Out of town clients are responsible for R/T shipping.)
Let Vanessa Nicole be your guide. Vanessa Nicole Jewels crafts stunning, wedding bands and heirloom engagement rings for couples around the globe. Every ring we make is truly one of a kind, designed exclusively for each client. Contact Vanessa today to learn more about your options!
Hi, I’m Vanessa Nicole – master diamond setter and author of the best-selling book, The Perfect Custom Engagement Ring. My educational engagement ring videos have amassed nearly half a million views on YouTube, so be sure to check those out if you need design inspiration for your ring. When I’m not playing with diamonds, you can find me tickling my twin boys, or kicking back watching a movie with my awesome husband (my teenage sweetheart).
The Artist’s Studio
Vanessa Nicole Jewels specializes in micro pavé engagement rings, bringing award winning talent to those who desire the highest quality engagement ring experience for their life partner. The benefits of a micro pavé engagement ring are obvious. However, such a stunning ring is only more breathtaking and built to last when it is custom made by a professional jewelry studio rather than a mass production wholesaler.
- All our micro pavé engagement rings are created exclusively for you. No overseas workers, no duplicates!
- You work directly with the designer to execute your vision. No pushy salespeople!
- We meticulously select every diamond in-house to ensure that it meets our high standards for sparkle.
- We use ONLY the most brilliant-looking diamonds.
- All our custom micro pavé engagement rings include the option of the “Making Of Your Ring™” DVD service – a special video that shows her ring being made, which she’ll watch over and over!
Vanessa Nicole Jewels specializes in creating custom, one-of-a-kind engagement rings. Personalized Service & Happiness Guaranteed!