Deciding on the right metal for your engagement ring is just as important as choosing the diamond it will hold. There are a few different factors to consider when evaluating your options. The durability, appearance, and cost are the three main deciding factors clients review before making their choice.
Platinum is considered to be the finest, and purest metal for jewelry. Advances in metalsmithing during 1900-1915, referred to as the “Edwardian” jewelry time period, made it possible for Platinum to used for jewelry making. The strength of this metal allowed for the airy intricate details we still love today.
Its density and durability is what also allowed these pieces to survive for the century that they have. Platinum boasts many benefits when compared to other metals, however these benefits come with a higher price given its rarity and density.
- Much more durable compared to Gold; Heirloom quality
- Although platinum can bend, it will not break as easily as gold. This provides more secure prongs to hold the diamonds
- Naturally white, it will never fade or need to be rhodium plated
- When Platinum is polished, layers are not stripped away
- Naturally Hypoallergenic
- Platinum is more expensive than Gold because of a few reasons. First it is 95% pure, therefore making it more costly than Gold. Also, Platinum is more labor intensive to work with. It requires higher temperatures for malleability and more polishing steps to bring out a bright shine.
Summary of Platinum
If you’re looking for increased durability, security, and a long-lasting appearance of white metal, Platinum is the best choice available.
With a Platinum ring you can be confident it will stay beautiful for generations to come.
Gold has been used in jewelry as far back as 3000-4000 B.C., with the first known gold wedding rings emerging during the Middle Ages. Gold is one of the most common choices of metal for jewelry given its lower cost, range of colors, and durability.
24k pure gold is too soft to be used for jewelry especially rings, therefore it is mixed with metal alloys such as silver, copper, nickel, and zinc to increase its durability. Most often rings come in 18 Karat (75% gold), 14 Karat (58.3% gold), and 10 Karat (42% gold).
Gold jewelry comes in yellow gold, white gold, and rose gold.
- More affordable than Platinum.
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Less durable than Platinum, gold wears away over time
- White Gold has to be rhodium plated to maintain its white brilliance
Gold is a versatile metal with its many colors and ease of malleability. This metal is another good choice for engagement rings, but requires some maintenance and care overtime in comparison to Platinum.
Whichever metal you choose, you can be confident that your ring setting will be meticulously crafted at Vanessa Nicole Jewels. We do not believe in lightweight, hollow, porous settings. Our settings are held to the highest of standards and have been created with every day durability in mind.
We want you to wear your ring every day and ENJOY it! We promise you’ll love the setting no matter which metal you decide to have it created in.
As always, Vanessa Nicole Jewels is more than happy to explain the benefits of each metal in more detail if you have additional questions.
Ready to Design the Ring of Your Dreams?
Vanessa Nicole is an award-winning designer, master diamond setter and author of the bestselling book The Perfect Custom Engagement Ring. She creates stunning custom antique engagement rings for clients all over the globe.
The Artist’s Studio
Vanessa Nicole Jewels specializes in micro pavé engagement rings, bringing award winning talent to those who desire the highest quality engagement ring experience for their life partner. The benefits of a micro pavé engagement ring are obvious. However, such a stunning ring is only more breathtaking and built to last when it is custom made by a professional jewelry studio rather than a mass production wholesaler.
- All our micro pavé engagement rings are created exclusively for you. No overseas workers, no duplicates!
- You work directly with the designer to execute your vision. No pushy salespeople!
- We meticulously select every diamond in-house to ensure that it meets our high standards for sparkle.
- We use ONLY the most brilliant-looking diamonds.
- All our custom micro pavé engagement rings include the option of the “Making Of Your Ring™” DVD service – a special video that shows her ring being made, which she’ll watch over and over!
Vanessa Nicole Jewels specializes in creating custom, one-of-a-kind engagement rings and wedding rings. Personalized Service & Happiness Guaranteed!
*If you liked this article, you may also find the following articles extremely helpful: